The Dunholme Old School



 Community Centre



Owned By THE DUNHOLME TRUST


CHARITY NUMBER 1160106


Welcome

This is the web site of the Dunholme Old School Community Centre (DOSC).  Build in 1863/4 as a school for the village.  It is now being used as a community centre under the management  of its Trustees



The Dunholme Old School Community Centre is owned by a Charitable Incorporated Organisation -

The Dunholme Trust

 

The objects of the CIO are to further or benefit the residents of Dunholme, Lincolnshire and the  neighbourhood, without Distinction of sex, sexual orientation, race or of political, religious or other opinions by associating together the said residents and the local authorities, voluntary and other organisations in a common effort to advance education and to provide facilities in the interests of social welfare for recreation and leisure time occupation with the objective of improving the conditions of life for the residents.

 

In furtherance of these objects but not otherwise, the trustees shall have power to establish or secure the establishment of a community centre and to maintain or manage or co-operate with any statutory authority in the maintenance and management of such a centre for activities promoted by the charity in furtherance of the above objects.


The Dunholme Trust's aim is to maintain and improve the facilities of the old school for the benefit of the local community in accordance with the Objects of our constitution

Site created in BaseKit

The Dunholme Old School was built in 1864 under the "School Sites Act" of 1861 whereby any piece of land could be donated for use as a place of education. The land that the School stands on was donated by William Tougue of Branston for a School for the education of Children and Adults or Children only of the labouring, manufacturing and other poorer class in the Parish of Dunholme aforesaid and as a Residence for the teacher or teachers of the said School and for no other purpose.


Image description


A view from the rear of the Old School showing the head techers study which was an addition in the 1890's. The door on the right now goes into the kitchen and the refubished wooden building on the left was built in 1959 as two extra classrooms. Its now home to the Lincolnshire Association of Local Councils offices, LincsPhoto and an IT suite.


Site created in BaseKit

The Main Hall of the Community Centre showing the architecture of a Church hall. This is due to the school being built by the Lincoln Diocesan Trust as a school in 1864. The suspended  ceiling has been removed  and a new laminate floor has been installed 


Image description

The Dunholme Trust shield has been taken from the village sign designed by John Ritchie BEM.

It incorporporates a green diagonal line representing the A46 trunk road that goes through the parish. Coloured green as that is the colour used on the national road maps.

The wavy blue line represents the beck which also runs diagonally throught the paish and crossing at the centre with the old A46 road.

The top quadrant depicts the rural nature of the Parish.

The left Quadrant is the cross of St Chad, the patron Saint of our Parish Church.

The right Quadrant of three trees represents the Nature Reserve and Monks Wood on Ashing Lane.

The bottom Quadrant is three Lancaster bombers representing the RAF base of Dunholme Lodge used druring WW II.

In the centre is a bishops mitre representing the Bishop of Lincoln who is still the "Lord of the Manor".

All is sumounted by a scroll with the name of our village and includes the name of the trust.